As the weather heats up, it’s time to focus on what your body needs to look and feel your best. Our Founder Keri Sutton wants to share her own personal tips for exercise, supplements and healthy diet plans to help you stay engaged in your health.
Keri likes to “practice what she preaches” so she’s offering this unfiltered peek behind the curtain to show our patients and the thousands of people that choose Kare for their healthcare needs, that she is no different than anyone else.
Here’s Keri’s tips in her own words:
“I struggle with taking my supplements and eating the proper diet and getting in my exercise just like everyone else. For me, the key is to make all of these things a part of my daily routine.
In the beginning, it takes more focus and reminding yourself to set your supplements up in advance for the week or the month. You need to have a plan for the types of things you want to eat and set time aside to exercise even if just for 30 minutes each day.
If you can stay focused for the first couple of weeks and really develop a repeatable routine, you will quickly find yourself doing these things without thinking about it. In fact, you will become so engaged in this healthy routine that you will make it a priority over many other things that could pull you away or distract you from your goals.
For me, I have a very set routine and process for all three of these things: Supplementation, Diet and Exercise.
Let’s talk about supplements first. This can be a very overwhelming part of living a healthy lifestyle.
We all need these oral supplements, but for most it is difficult to remember what to take when and why. What I have found to work well for me are clear fishing tackle boxes. That’s right, tackle boxes.
These boxes allow me to set up all of my supplements for several weeks at one time. I have one box for my daytime supplements, another for lunch and yet another for my night time supplements.
This makes it very easy for me to simply grab my supplements for the day and be consistent with taking them. I also have travel size boxes that I prepare ahead of time before we travel (which is most every weekend during the spring and summer).
This allows me to grab these to throw in the suitcase when packing and stay on my daily regimen.
The healthy diet plans may be the hardest, especially if you have a busy schedule like mine. I am always on the go whether at work or on the run with my family.
I always keep some healthy snack options with me like nuts, plantain chips, or gluten-free granola bars. When it comes to eating out I try to focus on the 80/20 diet plans principle of making sure 80% of what I eat is healthy and nutritious and the other 20% may be for things that I really enjoy eating, but that probably aren’t the healthiest options.
If you are like me there are things that you really enjoy, but maybe they are full of sugar or high in fats or contain things you shouldn’t have like dairy or gluten.
Instead of overdoing it with these things which can lead to larger issues with your health, I keep it to a minimum and make sure I don’t tilt my 80/20 diet plans in the wrong direction.
I also always make sure to have my digestive enzymes on hand to take with each meal but especially if I happen to consume gluten. I love OrthoMolecular’s enzyme called DG Protect. It is designed for when consuming gluten or dairy.
Exercise might just be my favorite thing to do. I am an exercise addict. To make sure I get my workout in at least five days per week, I workout first thing in the mornings.
Although it can be difficult to pull yourself out of bed some mornings, the feeling you get from working out to start your day is unbelievable. I feel refreshed, energized and more excited about the day when I complete my daily workout.
Sometimes I only get 30 minutes to lift weights or circuit train and other times I might get a full hour. No matter the amount of time I make sure I push myself every workout to maximize my time.
Right now I am still in phase 2 of physical therapy for my ACL reconstruction. This takes about an hour and a half twice a week.
I am doing all sorts of strengthening exercises for my left leg and learning to run and jump all over again it seems. I do a lot of these similar exercises the other 3 days at home.
When I could not exercise before and right after surgery I missed my workouts so much. So I am thrilled to be able to do most things again now and to be getting stronger every day.
I hope by sharing some of my routines for staying healthy and vibrant it might help someone reading this to create their own routine that sets them up for a happy and healthier version of themselves.”
As always, our mission at Kare Health & Wellness is to provide Hope for those needing better health and a more vibrant life.
If you know someone who is in need of this kind of Hope, please tell them about us. We are here to help.