Over-the-counter cold and flu medicine has its place. After all, if you’re suffering from severe symptoms, sometimes all you want is a dose of Nyquil. But while over-the-counter options can be a quick fix, there are several more natural options using functional medicine in Springfield Missouri that prevent and fight cold and flu symptoms, allowing you to recover faster and build immunity over time.
Preventing Cold and Flu With Vitamin C
Flu season is officially upon us, which means it’s time to crank up your Vitamin C intake. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report that flu activity usually peaks between December and February, although nationwide flu activity can last as late as May. During this time of year, it’s especially important to fend off the flu using our immune-boosting secret weapon: Vitamin C. Vitamin C is well-known for promoting a healthy immune system:
- Works toward the growth and repair of tissue all over the body
- Helps heal wounds and repair and maintain healthy bones, teeth, skin and cartilage
- Fights free radicals in the body
Preventing Cold and Flu With Probiotics
We’ve talked extensively about the benefits of a healthy gut in terms of digestion and brain health—but did you know that your gut plays a major role in your immune system, as well? Research shows that your gut system dramatically impacts the rest of your organs, creating an environment for good—or bad—bacteria to flourish. Overall, a diverse gut microbiome helps your immune system navigate bacteria, fungi and other microorganisms as they enter your system. Probiotics are a great way to get your gut health on track to ensure ongoing immune health throughout cold and flu season.
Treating Cold and Flu
We’ve devised the following flu prevention protocol to use in the height of cold and flu season:
- Vitamin D3 5000-10,000 iu daily
- Vitamin C Capsules 2 caps twice daily
- 25 gram Immune Drip every 2-4 weeks
- Igg Protect 1 scoop or 2 caps daily
- NAC capsules 2 daily or L Glutathione 1 cap daily
- Probiotics 25 billion daily
We also use the following acute influenza treatment program:
- Vitamin D3 50,000 iu x 3 days
- Viracid 1 every 1-2 hours x 3 days (If starting within 24 hours of onset of symptoms)
- Vitamin C Liposomal form 3-5 packets daily until illness resolves
- Vitamin C capsules 1 cap every 2-3 hours (or until bowel tolerance) until illness resolves
- Acute Immune Drip (intravenous therapy) 1-3 infusions depending on severity
- Colloidal Silver (Argentyn 23) 5-10 ml every 2-3 hours x 3 days
- SBI Protect one scoop or 4 capsules daily until illness resolves
- NAC 4 caps daily or L Glutathione 2 caps daily
- Probiotics 50-100 billion daily until illness resolves
Ready to take cold and flu season by storm with functional medicine? We carry several immune-boosting products, including a range of probiotics and an Orthomolecular product called Viracid. Viracid contains a synergistic nutrient blend of zinc, vitamin C, vitamin A, L-lysine and pantothenic acid, all of which contribute to a healthy, functioning immune system.
If you have questions about cold and flu prevention or treatment, reach out to Kare Health and Wellness in Springfield, Missouri at 417-881-4994. We’d love to tell you more about our go-to cold and flu prevention and treatment protocols. Our approach to functional medicine will help set you up for lifelong wellness long after cold and flu season.