What Is Functional Medicine?
Functional medicine offers a powerful new operating system and clinical model for assessment, treatment, and prevention of chronic disease to replace the outdated and ineffective acute-care models carried forward from the 20th century. It incorporates the latest in genetic science, systems biology, homeopathic medicine and understanding of how environmental and lifestyle factors influence the emergence and progression of disease. Functional medicine enables physicians and other health professionals to practice proactive, predictive, personalized medicine and empowers patients to take an active role in their own health.
What Can You Expect At Our Functional Medicine Practice?
- We take our time getting to know our patients. Not only is critical information collected about factors that may have set the stage for (or may be contributing to) your present problems, but a comprehensive understanding of each patient’s habits of daily living, prior illnesses and traumas, environmental exposures, and genetic influences must be gained to get to the root cause of their issues.
- Our patients will need to provide background information on a variety of topics, such as toxic exposures at home and at work/school, a diet history, and characteristics of chronic and acute symptoms. These answers provide our clinicians with in-depth health-related information that is difficult to gather by interview alone.
- Laboratory tests are often recommended, including tests both familiar (e.g., CBC) and less conventional (e.g., stool analysis). These tests help determine which key biological processes are functioning properly and which are not—essential information for the development of a customized, comprehensive treatment plan to restore proper health.
- Our treatments include drugs, botanical medicines, nutritional supplements, therapeutic diets, detoxification programs, and counseling on lifestyle, exercise, or stress-management techniques.
- Our patients are active partners with their practitioner, taking a leading role in improving their health and changing the outcome of any diseases.